Eye bags is one of the most common eye problems for both men and women. They usually appear as puffiness or swelling below the eyes, but they may also be present above the eyelids.
An eye bag is often caused by increased fat under the eye area caused by lifestyle habits such as excessive smoking, drinking, unhealthy dieting, and lack of sleep. It may also be inherited through other family members’ eye bags.
However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to be at the mercy of eye bags. There are effective eye bag remedies that you can do to help get rid of eye bags and eye puffiness.
What Causes Eye Bags?
There are several reasons for which you may develop puffy eyes. When it comes to the known causes, eye bags are usually caused by heredity or poor diet.
Eye puffiness may also be caused by eye allergies, stress, lack of sleep, eye surgery, and water retention in the face regions, which affects the entire body.
Specific causes include inflammation of eye muscles, fat herniation after weight loss surgery, and thyroid disease.
How to Treat Eye Bags?
Eye creams are one of the best remedies for eye bags and are available online. You can apply eye cream under your eye region once or twice a day.
Choose eye creams that contain ingredients like caffeine, cucumber extract, alpha hydroxy acid, and chamomile because these are effective in reducing puffiness around the eyes.
Another eye bag treatment is facial exercise. There are some eye exercises that you can do every day so that eye pouches will not have any time to form even if you have genetic predispositions for it.
These exercises include squinting your eyes while blowing out air slowly through your mouth, looking upwards with closed lips while raising your chin slightly higher than usual until you feel the tension around.
Facial Exercise Tips to Get Rid of Eye Bags:
Lie on your back, then tilt your head slightly forward. Now raise one of your eyebrows as high as possible while keeping the other eyebrow down. Hold it for 5 seconds, then switch to the other eyebrow. Repeat this about ten times daily. Also, check the top 9 facial exercises for anti-aging & slimming.
Stretch out one of your legs in front of you while keeping the other leg placed on the floor beside you. Keeping both hands on your hips, lean forward slowly until you feel the tension in your eye area.
Do not make it touch the ground but just a few centimeters from touching it. Be in this position for a few seconds before switching to another side with your other leg stretched forward and repeated ten times on each eye bag treatment.
Staring exercise is also an eye bag prevention tip that works well if done correctly and regularly every day. Close your eyes halfway while looking upwards without lifting your eyebrows too high.
You can do this eye exercise while lying down or sitting straight. Hold in this eye exercise position for a few seconds before looking downwards. Again Lean slowly while your head backward at the same time.
Homemade Treatment For Eye Bags
1. Tea Bags
Teabags contain powerful anti-oxidants that may increase the blood flow to your skin. The caffeine in tea may also help with anti-aging and UV rays. Studies have shown that Green tea is known for its potential anti-inflammatory properties
- Prepare a cup of green tea.
- Then place two cooled tea bags over your eyes for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this eye bag treatment twice or thrice daily until eye puffiness disappears completely.
Potatoes have properties that help reduce eye bags and dark circles under the eyes effectively.
- Grate 1 medium-sized potato
- Extract its juice, and mix in 2 teaspoons of honey and fresh cream to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on your eye area gently and leave it for 15 minutes
- Then wash it off with cold water thoroughly.
- Repeat this process every night before going to bed for the best results.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains vitamin E that helps tighten eye skin and reduce eye bags effectively.
- Slightly warm two teaspoons of coconut oil
- Then mix in 1 teaspoon of ground oatmeal and lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the eye area gently for 15 minutes before rinsing off with cold water thoroughly.
- Apply this homemade eye cream mask thrice daily until eye blemishes are disappeared completely naturally within weeks without leaving any side effects at all.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda may help reduce eye bags by tightening eye skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and water to make a fine paste.
- Apply it around your eyes gently for 10 minutes before rinsing off thoroughly.
- Repeat this eye bag removal remedy twice daily until eye puffiness has gone completely.
5. Mint Leaves
Mint leaves help tighten eye skin pores and soothe eye bags effectively with regular use every morning and night before going to bed daily for best results.
- Crush several mint leaves, extract their juice, and mix in 1 teaspoon of potato juice and aloe vera gel to make a fine paste.
- Apply it around your eye area gently before sleeping at night.
Cucumber helps reduce eye bags by tightening eye skin pores when cucumbers are applied over the eye area daily for about 15 minutes every day, followed by rinsing off with cold water thoroughly after that.
- Grate several cucumbers
- Apply their juice around your eye area gently and let it dry naturally on its own.
- After 15 minutes, rinse it off with cold water thoroughly.
7. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice helps tighten eye skin pores and reduces eye bags effectively when applied regularly every day in the morning and night before going to bed daily.
- Mix fresh lemon juice with honey and warm milk to make a fine paste.
- Apply it around your eye area gently for about 10 minutes before rinsing off thoroughly.
8. Rose Water
Rosewater contains antioxidants that help reduce eye bags naturally within a few days, only without any harsh chemicals at all.
- Take two cotton balls.
- Dip them in rose water, and place them over closed eyes for 10 minutes every day until eye puffiness is gone completely.
How to Prevent Eye Bags?
In addition to remedies for eye bags, there are also essential eye bag prevention tips that you always need to remember. Among the eye bag prevention tips include:
Drink plenty of water daily to keep your skin hydrated and nourished. Lack of proper hydration eventually leads to flaky, wrinkled skin. Drinking plenty of water is essential because it helps flush out toxins from your body, accumulating if you don’t drink, learn more about the benefits of drinking water for the skin.
This simple tip will help get rid of eye bags naturally so that it won’t be an issue when you look in the mirror if ever there’s a time when someone takes your picture without warning!
Avoid smoking and drinking excessively as these can cause eye puffiness due to their inflammatory effects on the body. You will also look a lot younger if you reduce eye puffiness by exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy diet.
The same goes with unhealthy dieting, which deprives the body of essential nutrients resulting in thyroid problems.
Have a sleep schedule. Set a time to go to bed and wake up every day so that your sleeping habits will not be disturbed by work or other obligations.
Having sound sleep helps reduce eye puffiness because your body rests from physical activities, functioning well again.
To prevent eye bags from occurring for a long time, you need to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
Eye bags are not only an eye problem but also a skin problem. That is why eye bag removal remedies should always be accompanied with eye skincare products to nourish eye skin and tighten eye skin pores so that eye puffiness can be prevented effectively for good.